The foundation of our collection was laid by Antoon Hendriks.

The basis of our collection was laid by Antoon Hendriks. This shoemaker and teacher of shoemaking (upper work) at the Industrial School for Waalwijk and Environs was a passionate collector. During the SLEM (Shoe, Leather and Fashion) exhibition in 1953, Hendriks showed his collection. The public responded very enthusiastically to his collection, which included historical footwear from all corners of the world.

A number of shoe manufacturers from the region then took the initiative to establish a shoe museum. This way, Hendriks' collection could be permanently displayed. In 1954, the museum opened in a tiny building on the Kloosterwerf in Waalwijk. Only a few visitors could enter at a time; with larger groups, the rest had to wait outside for their turn. In the meantime, three moves and as many names have passed....