HISTORY

The foundation of our collection was laid by Anthony Hendriks.

The foundation of our collection was laid by Antoon Hendriks. This shoemaker and teacher of shoe making (upper work) at the Industrial School for Waalwijk and Surroundings was a passionate collector. During the SLEM (Shoe, Leather and Fashion) exhibition in 1953, Hendriks showed his collection. The public responded very enthusiastically to his collection which included historical footwear from all over the world.

A number of shoe manufacturers in the region then took the initiative to establish a shoe museum. Thus Hendriks' collection could be on permanent display. In 1954, the museum opened in a tiny building on the Kloosterwerf in Waalwijk. Only a few visitors could enter at a time; with larger groups, the rest had to wait outside for their turn. Meanwhile we are three moves and as many names further....